Blazing Deals

Find Italy Flights

Travelers 1, Economy
Area Airports

Nearby Airports

See all
Featured Destination

Explore Pavia

Pavia is a town and comune of south-western Lombardy, northern Italy, 35 kilometres south of Milan on the lower Ticino river near its confluence with the Po. It has a population of c. 73,000. The city was the capital of the Kingdom of the Lombards from 572 to 774. Pavia is the capital of the fertile province of Pavia, known for agricultural products including wine, rice, cereals, and dairy products. Although there are a number of industries located in the suburbs, these tend not to disturb the peaceful atmosphere of the town. It is home to the ancient University of Pavia, which together with the IUSS, Ghislieri College, Borromeo College, Nuovo College, Santa Caterina College and the EDiSU, belongs to the Pavia Study System. Pavia is the episcopal seat of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Pavia. The city possesses many artistic and cultural treasures, including several important churches and museums, such as the well-known Certosa di Pavia.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "Pavia " , which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

Discover

University History Museum, University of Pavia

The University History Museum of the University of Pavia was officially opened in 1937, but before that can it be traced back to 1701, during the age of Enlightenment era. It reflects the history of the University, where doctors worked with great scholars such as Antonio Scarpa and Camillo Golgi or the physicist Alessandro Volta. The two most important sections of the museum are, in fact, those of medicine and physics, but it also has legal and literary manuscripts.
Read More

Pinacoteca Malaspina

An art gallery that focuses on the 17th and 18th century. Come observe the various paintings.
Read More
See all

Hiking

Visconti Castle

Viale XI Febbraio, 35, Pavia, Lombardy 27100, Italy
The Castello Visconteo or Visconti Castle is a castle in Pavia, Lombardy, northern Italy. It was built in 1360 by Galeazzo II Visconti, soon after the taking of the city, a free city-state until then. The credited architect is Bartolino da Novara. The castle used to be the main residence of the Visconti family, while the political capital of the state was Milan. North of the castle a wide park was enclosed, also including the Certosa of Pavia, founded 1396 according to a vow of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, meant to be a sort of private chapel of the Visconti dynasty. The Battle of Pavia, climax of the Italian Wars, took place inside the castle park. It presently houses the Civic Museums of Pavia including the Pinacoteca Malaspina, Museo Archeologico and Sala Longobarda, Sezioni Medioevale e Rinascimentale Quadreria dell’800, Museo del Risorgimento, Museo Robecchi Bricchetti, and the Cripta di…
Read More
See all

Relaxing

Orto Botanico dell'Università di Pavia

14 Via Sant'Epifanio, 27100, Pavia
The Orto Botanico dell'Università di Pavia, also known as the Orto Botanico di Pavia, is a botanical garden maintained by the University of Pavia. It is located at Via S. Epifanio, 14, Pavia, Italy, and open weekdays. The garden was begun in 1773 as a successor to Pavia's earlier Orto dei Semplici. By 1775 the garden was in use, with its first wooden greenhouses constructed in 1776. Nocca Domenico organized and expanded the garden 1797–1826, adding collections to exchange seeds and plants, and building a masonry greenhouse to replace the earlier wooden structures. The garden was extensively damaged in World War II, after which its greenhouses were relocated to the main building's south side.
Read More
See all

Sightseeing

Cathedral of Pavia

Piazza Duomo, 11, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Pavia Cathedral is a church in Pavia, Italy, the largest in the city and seat of the Diocese of Pavia. The construction was begun in the 15th century on the site of two pre-existing Romanesque, "twin" cathedrals. The cathedral houses the remains of St. Sirus, first Bishop of Pavia, and a thorn from the Crown of Thorns worn by Christ. The marble facing of the exterior was never completed. Until recently, next to the cathedral stood the Civic Tower, known in 1330 and enlarged in 1583. It collapsed on March 17, 1989.
Read More

Ponte Coperto

The Ponte Coperto or the Ponte Vecchio is a brick and stone arch bridge over the Ticino River in Pavia, Italy. The previous bridge, dating from 1354, was heavily damaged by Allied action in 1945. A debate on whether to fix or replace the bridge ended when the bridge partially collapsed in 1947, requiring new construction, which began in 1949. The new bridge is based on the previous one, which had seven arches to the current bridge's five.The current bridge, like its predecessor, bears a chapel.
Read More

Church of San Michele Maggiore

Vicolo San Michele, Pavia, Lombardy 27100, Italy
The Basilica of San Michele Maggiore is a church of Pavia, one of the most striking example of Lombard-Romanesque style. It dates from the 11th and 12th centuries.
Read More

Basilica San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro

Piazza San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro, Pavia, Lombardy 27100, Italy
San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro is a Roman Catholic basilica of the Augustinians in Pavia, Italy, in the Lombardy region. Its name refers to the mosaics of gold leaf behind glass tesserae that decorates the ceiling of the apse. The plain exterior is of brick, with sandstone quoins and window framing. The paving of the church floor is now lower than the modern street level of Piazza San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro, which lies before its façade.
Read More

Church of San Teodoro

Piazza San Teodoro, Pavia, Lombardy 27100, Italy
San Teodoro is an Romanesque-style Roman Catholic church in the town center of Pavia, Italy.
Read More

Church of Santa Maria del Carmine

Via Roma, Pavia, Lombardy 27100, Italy
Santa Maria del Carmine is a church in Pavia, Lombardy, northern Italy, considered amongst the best examples of Lombard Gothic architecture. It was begun in 1374 by Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan, on a project attributed to Bernardo da Venezia. The construction followed a slow pace, and was restarted in 1432, being finished in 1461.
Read More

Civic Tower

The Civic Tower was built in the Italian city of Pavia in the 11th century, next to Pavia Cathedral. Built to a rectangular footprint, it was 72 metres high.Between 1583 and 1585 the architect Pellegrino Tibaldi led works to add a room at the top of the tower to house the cathedral's bells, which it did until it was moved to a campanile of the Cathedral.On 17 March 1989, at 8:55 a.m., the Civic Tower collapsed, leaving 8,000 cubic metres of brick, sand and granite rubble. The collapse killed four people and injured fifteen. It has not been rebuilt, though some elements from it are now on display at the city's Castello Visconteo.
Read More

Santa Maria di Canepanova

Via Sacchi Defendente, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Santa Maria di Canepanova is a Renaissance style Roman Catholic church located in central Pavia, region of Lombardy, Italy. Although in the past the design was popularly attributed to Bramante, the church was designed by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo.
Read More
See all

Hotels

Ostello Santa Maria in Betlem

7 Via Eustacchio Pasino, 27100, Pavia

Rosengarten